The short guide to 'Using Twitter in university research, teaching, and impact activities', is available to download as a PDF.
Although it's been put together by the LSE (London School of Economics), it is actually quite a generic guide and can be used by all academics and researchers across disciplines.
I think it's a great resource. After a brief explanation of what Twitter actually is, the guide goes on to cover topics including:
- Setting up your Twitter account;
- Useful Twitter terminology;
- Tweeting styles;
- Building up your followers;
- Using Twitter for research projects;
- Using Twitter in departments;
- Using Twitter alongside blogging;
- Using Twitter in teaching;
- Resources (such as academics on Twitter, related blog posts, guides and articles).
I actually came across this guide having read a Tweet from a fellow librarian. Click here for more information and to download the guide: http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2011/09/29/twitter-guide/