Thursday 10 November 2011

Web of Knowledge now available on your mobile - updated post



You can access Web of Knowledge from anywhere at any time using your Web of Knowledge username and password, including from your mobile phone.

It's easy to create an account (which has to be done from a computer on the Cambridge network) - just follow the instructions here: http://wokinfo.com/about/mobile/

I have successfully searched Web of Knowledge (WoK) from my Android smartphone. Since I was logged on to the university's free wifi via EduRoam (or you could log on to Lapwing) I found that I could actually open the full text PDFs of articles I retrieved. I have just tested accessing WoK from my phone while connected to my own mobile phone network and found that I could also download the full text PDFs, for journals where the university has a subscription. I bookmarked the mobile site on my browser and was asked to login using my WoK password as I had previously set it up.

The mobile version has the ability to search within individual products (e.g. Web of Science), as well as the All Databases search.

You can sort, refine, email, add records to EndNote Web, link to full text, view times cited counts, search history.

Pretty impressive?! Give it a go and let me know how you get on.